Sunday, September 17, 2006

Thoughts and Definitions.

I really like this class because of the proofs that we are doing. Beautiful proofs. Delicious proofs. Rigorous proofs. The fact that we are working with so low-level concepts and are rediriving a lot of what is considered trivial makes me jump with joy because now I can actually trust it. Also, the course basically explains why stuff works, something that I find is completely neglected in pre-college math from my experience. Yay!

Of course, I also have several things that I am dissatisfied with, namely the usage of things we have not defined. What is a set? I badly need a definition. Also, we haven't defined the symbolic notation we use to represent integers in terms of digits. I have tried devising my own definition but it is really tricky and have failed so far.

I'm also looking forward to analysis as from what I've heard it is really interesting and it seems as a very fundamental part of all research mathematics.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sets are actually quite tough to define, which is why we're not defining them. That's kind of a cop-out, but you can get a good definition on the next pass through the material

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home